Renaissance Painters: Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519)
• Trained in Florence.
• Is best known as a painter, but did absolutely everything else as well.
• Studied human anatomy, via dissection (completely illegal, unless one was a physician), and used the knowledge of such to glorify man.
• Believed only in that which he could observe.
• Had a Duke (of Milan) as his first patron.
• Painted beautiful women, most of whom seemed to be enjoying delicious secrets.
• Disliked Michelangelo, but was somewhat of a mentor (albeit unseen) to Raphael.
• Worked in Rome from 1513 to 1516.
• Was commissioned by Pope Leo X.
• As a dinner guest, would monopolize all conversation, enjoy the soup, linger long enough that all would beg him to stay and leave to a loud chorus of “Come back soon!”, whilst misappropriating a wine glass and forgetting his hat.
• The Big Three Names of the High Renaissance
• Leonardo Da Vinci
• Michelangelo Buonarratti
• The Majesty of Sistine Chapel
• The High Renaissance in Italy
• Why is it Called High Renaissance?